There are so many benefits to breastfeeding. I am listing twenty-five to get you fired up for your nursing journey!
1. The American Academy of Pediatrics & The World Health Organization recommends it
2. Breastfeeding promotes bonding between mother and baby
3. Breastfeeding satisfies baby's emotional needs
4. Breast milk provides perfect infant nutrition
5. Not breastfeeding increases mother's risk of breast cancer, uterine cancer and ovarian cancer
6. Formula feeding increases baby girls' risk of developing breast cancer in later life
7. Formula Feeding is associated with lower I.Q.
8. Breast milk comes is fast food with two convenient locations
9. Breast milk contains immunities to diseases and aids in the development of baby's immune system.
10. Breast milk is more digestible than formula
11. Baby's suckling helps shrink mother's uterus after childbirth
12. Nursing helps mom lose weight after baby is born
13. Pre-term milk is specially designed for premature infants. There is no substitute.
14. Breastfed babies have less gastrointestinal reflux (Spit-up)
15. Formula feeding increases risk of baby developing type I (juvenile, insulin-dependent) diabetes
16. Breast milk lowers risk of baby developing asthma
17. Formula feeding increases baby's risk of ear infections
18. Formula feeding may increase risk of sudden infant death syndrome (S.I.D.S.)
19. Formula-fed babies are more at risk for obesity in later life
20. Breastfeeding results in fewer doctor's visits for baby and less sick days for parents
21. Breast milk is 98.6 degrees - warm and ready to feed
22. Breastfeeding hormones calm mom and baby
23. Breastfed baby's have better tooth and jaw development - less money at the orthodontist
24. Breast milk does not stain
25. Breast milk has never been recalled